Division Category: Legal/Regulatory
Position Type: Full-Time
Address Line 1: 1475 Boettler Road
Country: United States
Zip Code: 44685
Remote Based: No
The Risk and Claims Advisor protects the revenues and assets of the company from the effects of risk. Directs the handling of liability claims and litigation, specifically claims arising from fleet accidents and public liability. Protects the assets of the company from the financial impact of cargo damage, cargo claims, property damage, accidents and lawsuits.
Directs investigation of cargo claims for multiple FedEx Custom Critical (FCC) product lines, including domestic, international, multi-modal, and cross-OpCo. (e.g., ESS, HS, TCN, AEN, FS).
Analyzes claim causes and trends, financial accruals and recommends specific solutions. Champions the cause of claim prevention within the company. Advises on language in legal documents affecting cargo liability. May lead claims prevention projects and ad hoc teams.
Direct operations of the company’s Workers’ Compensation (WC) programs, including insured, self-insured, and state fund programs in multiple states. Provide assistance to FCC legal team with major WC claims and litigation as needed. Ensure compliance with applicable regulatory authorities, e.g., OSHA reporting and Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
May play a leading role in insurance policy, coverage, declared value issues with our various insurers, brokers, and FCC functional areas. Assist department leadership in representing the Risk Management perspective in discussions with company leaders and other key personnel. Recommend, implement or administer various risk, insurance, and loss prevention products and services.
You will uphold the Purple Promise by making every customer experience outstanding. Your efforts and customer-focused mindset will have a positive impact on customer satisfaction and, ultimately, the profitability of our company.
• Directs those who investigate, evaluate, and negotiate liability claims arising out of fleet accidents and other circumstances. This includes direction of independent adjusters, reconstruction experts and accident investigators working on FCC’s behalf. Claims include personal injury, property damage, no-fault, and other tort claims.
• Decides / authorizes liability claim reserves, payments, and denials (within limits or recommends, depending on amount.) Collaborates with excess insurance carriers on handling claims in excess of our self-insured retention (SIR).
• Evaluates and negotiates serious or unusual claims, including catastrophic injury or wrongful death claims. May prepare a professional estimate of the ultimate financial impact on the company for an accident or other event.
• Maintain claim files within FCC’s claims management system.
• Oversees attorneys handling claims litigation on FCC’s behalf, including unusual, high dollar exposure or other high profile matters.
• Represents the Company at personal injury trials, pre-trials, mediations, and settlement hearings.
• Decides / authorizes payments (within limits or recommends), negotiations, defense strategies and trial preparations. May negotiate direct with Plaintiff’s attorneys.
• Decides procedures & controls for the Company’s outside attorneys to follow in handling claims-related litigation. Assists in the preparation of detailed, written outside counsel instructions.
• Investigates, evaluates, negotiates, and settles complex cargo claims across multiple product lines, including domestic, international, multi-modal, and cross-OpCo.
• Analyzes and recommends on released value and declared value issues.
• Assesses cargo risks on new business ventures. Provides advice and strategy to upper management to support business strategy.
• Analyzes claim causes and trends and recommends specific solutions.
• Educates or notifies (as appropriate) agents, customers, and drivers in claims prevention and claims processes.
• Directs operations of the Company’s Workers’ Compensation (WC) programs, including insured, self-insured, and state fund programs in multiple states.
• Coordinates the Company’s response to workplace injuries, illnesses, and accidents.
• Decides / authorizes reserves, payments, and denials (within limits - or recommends). May decide to accept or reject WC claims.
• Administers the company’s WC claims and litigation functions: Leads employees who handle claims direct or oversee others handling claims on our behalf. This includes direction of Third Party Administrators (TPAs), independent adjusters, accident investigators, and defense attorneys.
• Coordinates with insurers on FCC’s large deductible insured WC programs.
• Responds to state WC bureau inquiries and audits.
• Ensures compliance with various regulatory agencies, such as Ohio Bureau of WC. Leads preparation of self-insurance renewals, audits, and assessments. Ensures compliance with OSHA reporting and record keeping requirements.
• Coordinates with our insurers and brokers on insurance coverage and insurance policy issues. This includes multiple policies for a variety of risks.
• Assists department leadership in representing the Risk Management perspective in discussions with company leaders and other key personnel.
• Recommends implements or administers various risk, insurance, and loss prevention products and services. Coordinates with other functions on Risk issues.
• Coordinates with Risk Management Analysts on various risk, coverage and policy issues.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent Required
• Bachelor's Degree preferred in Business or Logistics
• Professional certification required: Associate in Claims (AIC), Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), or Licensed Insurance/Claims Adjuster
• 4-7 years’ experience in casualty insurance company, motor carrier, or claims experience (Liability, Property, Cargo, Worker’s Comp).
• Proven negotiating skills.
• Knowledge of claims values.
• Knowledge of claim procedures and laws and ability to research them.
• Proven superior organizational, analytical, and communication skills.
• Must be knowledgeable regarding US and international cargo and property damage liability laws, which vary by mode of transportation.
We are a multiple time NorthCoast 99 award recipient, which recognizes the top employers in Northeast Ohio! We offer attractive compensation, benefits and team member development.
Follow Us on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/fedex-custom-critical
EEO Statement: FedEx Custom Critical is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Females, Minorities, Veterans, and Disabled.
If you have a disability and/or you need assistance in order to apply for a position, please call (877) 314-5191.