Job Requisition Number: RC171788
Time Type: Full Time
Scheduled weekly Hours: 40
Worker Type: Regular
Posting Date: 13-September-2019
Closing Date: 30-November-2019
Job Family: FXE-EU: Project Engineer
This position is responsible for developing and maintaining facility designs, production standards, planning tools and reporting for the FedEx European ground network.
- Develop positional and facility performance standards using standard work measurement tools.
- Develop enterprise standard KPI’s and daily reporting documents
- Employ methods engineering to design more efficient and ergonomic workstations including all health, safety and environmental requirements
- Design standard processes for new or renovated hubs, depots and gateways, from unloading, to infeed and sorting, through to loading
- Design standard operating plans and procedures
- Develop Standard facility layout and design.
- Train operations management on engineering principles, methods, and procedures (e.g., volume availability, engineering metrics, and push vs. pull throughput)
- Create detailed plans for peak season and other special holidays using available forecasts, local projections, and historical information
- Develop customised reports using engineering principles (e.g., root cause analysis), and to communicate solution(s), operational issue(s), and enhancement(s) to management
- Prepare cost/benefit analysis for material handling justifications through detailed quantitative and qualitative analysis to determine the feasibility of purchasing new operations equipment
- Manage the investigation and identification of opportunities for improved processes from innovative thinking and new products and services; Manage the development of those opportunities into business cases for investment; Present these cases to senior management
- Employ computer modelling and simulation to help optimise processes
- Utilise Quality Driven Management (QDM) to lead and/or participate in projects to improve service, increase quality, and reduce cost
- Implement, train, and monitor new program initiatives/rollouts and facility projects (ie: openings/expansions) with management guidance
- Create new engineering documentation and update existing, as needed
- Promote and maintain the highest professional standards for industrial and process engineering within FedEx Europe.
- Successful implementation of engineered solutions that enhance operational performance, improve service delivery, and reduce cost
- Successful implementation of innovative solutions and industry-leading practices using Quality Driven Management
- Successful implementation of development projects and initiatives from engineering, operations, linehaul, and other departments
- Deliver on-time consistently in a fast-paced environment, handling multiple tasks and changing priorities, with attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- University degree in industrial engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years engineering experience, preferably in express, warehouse, logistics or transport industries; knowledge of FedEx/TNT operations is a plus.
- Prior project management or engineering/operations management experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience in optimizing processes, improving service delivery and achieving unit-cost reductions
- Work measurement and standard process design experience.
- Time management and organizational skills necessary to manage multiple projects, appropriately prioritise workload, plan for resources to meet deadlines and goals, and respond to day-to-day functional needs
- Knowledge of automated parcel sort systems and warehouse material handling processes
- Knowledge of Kaizen & TQM continuous improvement programmes and techniques, such as Lean and Six Sigma; Black Belt certification is a plus
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Working knowledge of technical drawing software, preferably AutoCAD
- Experience with programme / project management of complex large-scale projects
- Fluent in English (written, verbal and presentation)
- Experience in multicultural and cross-functional environments
- A flexible approach to work, including the ability to work independently, work different shifts, and travel to other sites
FedEx was built on a philosophy that puts people first, one we take seriously. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce in which we provide growth opportunities for all
FedEx Express is one of the world's largest express transportation companies and has consistently been selected as one of the top 10 World’s Most Admired Companies by "Fortune" magazine. Every day FedEx delivers for its customers with transportation and business solutions, serving more than 220 countries and territories around the globe. We can serve this global network due to our outstanding team of FedEx team members, who are tasked with making every FedEx experience outstanding.
The People-Service-Profit philosophy (P-S-P) describes the principles that govern every FedEx decision, policy or activity. FedEx takes care of our people; they, in turn, deliver the impeccable service demanded by our customers, who reward us with the profitability necessary to secure our future. The essential element in making the People-Service-Profit philosophy such a positive force for the company is where we close the circle, and return these profits back into the business, and invest back in our people. Our success in the industry is attributed to our people. Through our P-S-P philosophy, we have a work environment that encourages team members to be innovative in delivering the highest possible quality of service to our customers. We care for their well-being, and value their contributions to the company.
Our culture is important for many reasons, and we intentionally bring it to life through our behaviors, actions and activities in every part of the world. The FedEx culture and values have been a cornerstone of our success and growth since we began in the early 1970’s. While other companies can copy our systems, infrastructure and processes, our culture makes us unique and is often a differentiating factor as we compete and grow in today’s global marketplace.