Claims & Litigation Advisor
Requisition ID: 25736-316695
Position Type: Full Time
Employee Type: Professional
Protects the assets of the Company from the financial impact of liability claims and lawsuits while ensuring maximum performance from FedEx Ground (FXG) independent adjusters and defense counsel. Supervises the investigation of accidents and claims presenting exposure to the company and evaluates liability exposures. Oversees claims litigation process.
• Manages all phases of claims litigation including supervision of trial preparation by defense counsel.
• Supervises investigations of accidents by independent adjusters, reconstruction experts, and others.
• Negotiates claims directly with claimants and/or their representatives as well as supervises others negotiating on FXG’s behalf.
• Analyzes and evaluates financial exposures and expense management of claims activity and reports and presents recommendations of significant exposures and expense to management.
• Sets and maintains reserves for accident claims considering the following criteria: liability, damages (property and bodily injury), and negligent laws of the state, liens (workers’ compensation, personal injury protection), geographic location of claim (liberal or conservative), nature and extent of injury, quality of plaintiff attorney.
• Advises and supervises operating company management in responding to accidents and claims.
• Identifies opportunities to pursue collection of accident related company damages caused by third parties, gathers documentation and evidence, and resolves claims through negotiation when possible and litigation when necessary.
• Oversees outside counsels’ research and analysis of state statutory changes and case law that could potentially impact the company’s liability exposure.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Business or related field required; in addition to Minimum Experience, high school diploma or GED and seven (7) years experience in Liability Claims or related area is accepted in lieu of degree.
• Five (5) years experience required in liability claims or related area.
Required Skills, Abilities and / or Licensure
• Software skills, including use of Microsoft Office software, RMIS systems and web-based applications.
• Verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate with all levels of management.
• Time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills necessary to work in a fast-paced environment, handling various tasks and changing priorities, while maintaining a high attention to detail and accuracy to achieve daily assignments and goals.
• Ability to analyze, review, and make recommendations.
• Ability to inspire a shared vision and empower and motivate a team.
• Knowledge of concepts, practices, policies and procedures related to tort law/legal system/contracts and general knowledge of liability insurance coverage.
• Ability to understand and effectively execute mutually successful negotiations.
Other Job Description Information
This position may be domiciled in Pittsburgh, PA or Texas.% of Travel for the Position: 0-25%
Address: 1000 FedEx Drive
City: Moon Township
Zip Code: 15108
Search Engine Description: Legal/Regulatory
Domicile Location: P090
FedEx Ground is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer (Minorities/Females/Disability/Veterans) committed to a diverse workforce