Address Line 1: 1715 Aaron Brenner Drive
Zip Code: 38120
Position Status: Full-Time
Provide guidance and counsel to the corporation and its operating companies regarding labor law matters, including collective bargaining, union avoidance and union representational campaigns, as well as general employment law matters.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist in developing and implementing the company’s strategic plans and objectives relating to labor matters.
2. Provide strategic development and execution regarding issues impacting or relating to union avoidance.
3. Counsel and advise management regarding complex labor issues associated with union representational campaigns.
4. Provide advice to executives, managers and human resources staff regarding both labor and employment matters.
5. Advise company on labor related matters, including compliance with the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and the Canadian Labour Code.
6. Represent the company before administrative agencies and federal, state and local courts on labor-related matters.
7. Coordinate and communicate with National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), as required.
8. Work with and oversee outside counsel regarding labor-related matters as necessary.
9. Stay abreast of all applicable labor-related laws, rules and regulations; summarize for executive leadership and recommend any policy/procedural changes required to remain compliant.
10. Handle employment-related matters as assigned, including but not limited to: review employee terminations and other employee matters, handle EEOC charges and state-level equivalent charges, Department of Labor issues, and other governmental audits.
11. Monitor and interpret changes to and trends in government and legislative matters at the federal, state, local and international level related to employment law issues. Determine company impact and advise legal management accordingly. Recommend and implement specific company responses to changes in governmental and legislative policies.
12. Participate in the planning phase of various company products, services and projects and assist in plotting a course of action which balances the company’s goals with legal and regulatory concerns.
13. Conduct legal research and draft corresponding documents and memos. Provide legal interpretations of laws and regulations. Draft and review legal documents and review proposed transactions to ensure maximum benefit to the corporation and minimum risk.
14. Conduct legal investigations, as assigned
15. Draft internal policies and assist with monitoring policy compliance. Render assistance and counsel to other Freight divisions and departments, as assigned, on the meaning and application of the company’s policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable law and consistency with company philosophy and goals.
16. Research and evaluate risks relative to operational policies and processes. Assist HR clients in periodic review of employment-related policies and procedures.
17. Perform independent special projects of a legal and confidential nature for the department or company, as assigned.
18. Collaborate with other FedEx legal departments on various projects and initiatives.
19. Assist in designing and delivering education to employees on labor employment law compliance.
20. Perform other duties as required
21. Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school and admission to the Tennessee Bar, plus six (6) years’ experience and demonstrated competence as a practicing attorney in both labor and employment law.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively within and outside the company.
Strong human relations and communication skills.
• Excellent organizational, presentation and negotiation skills.
• Comprehensive knowledge of federal and state labor and employment laws.
• Experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements and handling labor-related grievances, mediations and arbitrations preferred.
• Trial experience and experience handling Unfair Labor Practice Charges preferred.
• Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office, including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Company Name: FedEx Freight Inc.