Job Title: Senior Attorney I / Tax Counsel / Tax Controversy
Job Requisition Number: RC164581
Memphis, Tennessee 38120
To provide legal counsel and advice to the corporation and its subsidiaries to ensure their effective operation in accordance with federal, state, local and/or international laws.
Job Specific Information:
FedEx Corporation is looking for a senior level tax attorney to join the Corporate Legal Department. The candidate should have 6 or more years of experience with a broad range of tax matters, including domestic and/or international tax planning and tax controversy. The position will report to the Corporate Legal Department’s Staff Director of Tax Law, and responsibilities will include:
- Frequent interaction with legal staff and internal clients throughout the FedEx enterprise.
- Research and drafting related to all aspects of the FedEx multinational corporate tax practice.
- Research, drafting, and negotiations related to federal, state and/or international tax planning and tax controversy (e.g. audits, appeals, and litigation).
- Preparing, managing, and/or advising the FedEx Tax Department and other internal clients regarding tax matters.
- Direct interaction with government attorneys related to federal, state, and/or international tax matters.
- Direct management of outside counsel, as applicable.
- Active participation in Corporate Development projects (e.g. Mergers & Acquisitions) including due diligence and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements.
- Some domestic and international travel may be required.
Skills/Knowledge Considered a Plus:
- A CPA or LLM in Taxation.
- Admitted to a state bar and licensed (or qualified to be licensed) to practice law in Tennessee.
- Experience and demonstrated competence as a practicing attorney with quality tax experience.
- The ideal candidate will indicate a willingness to develop an understanding of the transportation and technology industries.
- He or she will be a self-starter with strong interpersonal skills, able to think and perform creatively, critically, and with integrity, as well as show significant interest in expanding the depth and breadth of his or her tax expertise.
- Federal tax controversy experience, international tax experience and/or foreign language skills are a plus.
Juris Doctorate Degree from an A.B.A accredited law school and admission to the bar. At least six (6) years of experience and demonstrated competence as a practicing attorney in relevant area of law. Superior academic record. Ability to determine appropriateness of settlement or litigation. Excellent research and writing skills. Strong negotiation, human relations and communications skills.
This position is domiciled in Memphis, Tennessee. Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs.
Want a career where you are empowered to make a difference? Want to work for a company that is environmentally responsible? Want to grow and develop on the job? If so, FedEx is the place for you! Every day FedEx delivers for its customers with transportation and business solutions. FedEx serves more than 220 countries and territories around the globe. We can serve this global network due to our outstanding team of FedEx employees. FedEx has over 400,000 talented employees who are tasked with making every FedEx experience outstanding. FedEx has been recognized on many different lists both for business success and for being a great employer.
Here are some of the recognitions FedEx has received from the past couple of years:
- Fortune "World’s Most Admired Companies" – 2019
- Forbes "Best Employers for Diversity" - 2019
- Reputation Institute "World\’s Most Reputable Companies" – 2019
- National Business Inclusion Consortium "Best-of-the-Best Corporations for Inclusion" - 2019
- Women\’s Business Enterprise National Council "America’s Top Corporations for Women’s Business Enterprises" - 2018
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine "100 Best Corporate Citizens" – 2018
- Black Enterprise "50 Best Companies For Diversity" – 2018
When 400,000 employees around the globe are all working together it is amazing what we can achieve! FedEx connects people and ideas. If you would like to make a difference on a global scale while receiving top notch benefits, competitive pay, and plenty of opportunities to develop, click ‘Apply’ and tell us more about yourself.
EEO Statement - FedEx is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer (minorities/females/disability/veterans) that is committed to diversifying its workforce.