Sr. Attorney I, Tax Law / Tax Counsel / Tax Controversy
Requisition ID: POSTING-3-71577
Job Title: Sr. Attorney I, Tax Law / Tax Counsel / Tax Controversy
Job Requisition Number: RC87558
Memphis, Tennessee 38120
To provide legal counsel and advice to the corporation and its subsidiaries to ensure their effective operation in accordance with federal, state, local and/or international laws.
Job Specific Information:
FedEx is looking for a senior level tax attorney to join the Corporate Legal Department. The candidate should have 6 or more years of experience with a broad range of tax matters, including domestic and/or international tax planning and tax controversy. The position will report to the Corporate Legal Department’s Staff Director of Tax Law, and responsibilities will include:
- Frequent interaction with legal staff and internal clients throughout the FedEx enterprise.
- Research and drafting related to all aspects of multinational corporate tax practice.
- Research, drafting, and negotiations related to federal, state and/or international planning and tax controversy (e.g. audits, appeals, and litigation).
- Preparing, managing, and/or advising FedEx Tax Department and other internal clients regarding tax matters.
- Direct interaction with government attorneys related to federal, state, and/or international tax matters.
- Direct management of outside counsel, as applicable.
- Active participation in Corporate Development projects (e.g. Mergers & Acquisitions) including due diligence and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements.
- Some domestic and international travel will be required.
Skills/Knowledge Considered a Plus:
- A CPA or LLM in Taxation
- Admitted to a state bar and licensed (or qualified to be licensed) to practice law in Tennessee.
- Experience and demonstrated competence as a practicing attorney with quality tax experience.
- The ideal candidate will indicate a commitment to continuing education in the area of tax law and a willingness to develop an understanding of the transportation and technology industries.
- He or she will be a self-starter with strong interpersonal skills, able to think and perform creatively, critically, and with integrity.
- International experience and/or foreign language skills are a plus.
Juris Doctorate Degree from an A.B.A. accredited law school and admission to the bar. At least six (6) years of experience and demonstrated competence as a practicing attorney in relevant area of law. Superior academic record. Ability to determine appropriateness of settlement or litigation. Excellent research and writing skills. Strong negotiation, human relations and communications skills.
This position is domiciled in Memphis, TN. Relocation assistance is available for this position.
Want a career where you are empowered to make a difference? Want to work for a company that is environmentally responsible? Want to grow and develop on the job? If so, FedEx is the place for you! Every day FedEx delivers for its customers with transportation and business solutions. FedEx serves more than 220 countries and territories around the globe. We can serve this global network due to our outstanding team of FedEx employees. FedEx has over 400,000 talented employees who are tasked with making every FedEx experience outstanding. FedEx has been recognized on many different lists both for business success and for being a great employer.
Here are some of the recognitions FedEx has received from the past couple of years:
- FORTUNE “World’s Most Admired Companies” – 2016
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine “100 Best Corporate Citizens” – 2016
- InformationWeek “Elite 100” – 2016
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council “America’s Top Corporations for Women’s Business Enterprises” - 2016
- Reputation Institute “World’s Most Reputable Companies” – 2015
- Black Enterprise “40 Best Companies For Diversity” – 2015
When 400,000 employees around the globe are all working together it is amazing what we can achieve! FedEx connects people and ideas. If you would like to make a difference on a global scale while receiving top notch benefits, competitive pay, and plenty of opportunities to develop, click ‘Apply’ and tell us more about yourself.
EEO Statement - FedEx is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer (minorities/females/disability/veterans) that is committed to diversifying its workforce.