Job Title: Marketing Principal
Job Requisition Number: RC189505
Collierville, Tennessee 38017
Under minimal supervision, leads, develops and executes strategy for one or more marketing initiatives. Resolves problems and makes recommendations related to highly complex and interrelated matters and projects. Provides expert-level analysis in several marketing disciplines, including computer-generated modeling. Recommends project budgets and forecasts anticipated budget spending. Leads project activities and consults across multiple project teams, including identification of business requirements needed for impacted systems. Coaches others in less senior positions.
The Marketing Principal is responsible for providing the leadership needed to define and implement the strategy for a product portfolio, technology, partnership or capability in support of FedEx’s business priorities. He/She will also partner with management to identify and address organizational issues needed to improve team effectiveness.
PORTFOLIO MARKETING PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES FALL INTO 3 PRIMARY CATEGORIES (PERCENTAGES MAY CHANGE BASED ON BUSINESS NEEDS AND AT THE DISCRETION OF MGMT):
1. DIGITAL ACCESS STRATEGY AND PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT (20%)
The Marketing Principal will work individually as well as with Digital Access Portfolio team to:
• Identify and document global automation segment and stakeholder requirements.
• Identify opportunities to enhance, rationalize and increase effectiveness of the DA Portfolio (focusing on the greater good – not own portfolio interest).
• Supporting the Corporate Strategy (i.e. Big 6), define and communicate the Digital Access vision and strategy to meet market requirements and create market leadership.
• Translate the strategy into a rationalized, sequenced roadmap of automation initiatives and lead efforts needed to gain corporate support and funding for the effort required.
To achieve these objectives, will perform the following activities by the end of September each FY:
• Define, prioritize and gain funding support for research efforts required.
• Develop and update the annual DA Strategy and Vision document and evangelize it to appropriate stakeholders for approval.
• Ensure any organizational requirements (inclusive of org design, resource investments, etc.) are included as part of annual strategy effort.
• Ensure the requirements of their assigned portfolio are properly represented and integrated into the overall DA Portfolio.
• Develop, rationalize and prioritize a 3-5 year roadmap of the automation projects required to implement the DA strategy.
• Ensure DA budget inputs to achieve strategy are finalized and prioritized.
• As required, the Marketing Principal will provide subject matter consulting to senior executives in support of the strategy.
• Support ad hoc projects as assigned by DA Management.
2. AUTOMATION SUPPORT FOR EARLY/ CONCEPT PHASE INITIATIVES (30%)
(As assigned by management) Marketing Principal will provide automation insight, requirements input and consulting to early stage corporate initiative project teams.
In this role, the Marketing Principal will:
• Participate at Vision and Concept Summit sessions to understand the project’s objectives and requirements.
• Represent all DA areas, while reaching out to appropriate groups when necessary, to provide insights and consulting to project concept teams to help identify and scope automation requirements, potential issues/limitations and recommend potential solutions.
• Document and communicate appropriate information/insights gained to DA executive management and the DA Portfolio Team via coordinated concept status updates at the both the mid and end points of the project phase.
• Document and transition the knowledge and insight gained through the concept effort to assigned DA product managers/SMEs as appropriate prior to definition start.
3. PRODUCT PORTFOLIO PLANNING (50%)
By the end of May each FY, The Marketing Principal will collaborate with product managers, DA Portfolio Team, IT and other stakeholders to develop a market leadership portfolio plan that:
• Aligns with DA Strategy and related Automation portfolio plans.
• Clearly Identifies customer segment requirements.
• Supports appropriate corporate initiatives (transportation, infrastructure, etc.).
• Presents a clear strategy, set of solutions, and innovation opportunities to meet requirements and capture market opportunity.
• Provides high-level economics to support investments recommended.
• Deploy strategy through to execution consistently throughout the year via team leadership activities such as roadmap execution meetings, communications, executive updates and barrier resolution.
In this role, the Marketing Principal will, via an inclusive process, author his/her team’s portfolio strategy utilizing individual thought leadership, creativity, customer and market insights, as well as business and technology acumen. Key activities include:
- In combination with VOC efforts, partner with key groups to fund and conduct research needed to identify target segments, requirements and solutions that result in a portfolio or technology vision and strategy.
- Through the use of QDM principals, web analytics, and trend/predictive analysis, evaluate product / business performance and identify improvements.
- Provide information and guidance on market requirements and strategic priorities to product managers as input to individual product plans. Ensure product plans align with portfolio vision, strategy and priorities.
- Work individually and/or with other team members to propose a leadership strategy to meet the market opportunity.
- Pursue internal and external partnering opportunities that enhance the portfolio’s value proposition.
- Facilitate and assist in the prioritization of cross-functional projects and their relationship to the business needs in order to implement the portfolio or business strategy and plan (including but not limited to leading the team’s participation at Concept Summits and subsequent product scoping exercises).
- Develop and present high-level economics that justify the company investments needed to implement the overall portfolio plan (roadmap).
- Support product manager efforts to develop in-depth, product specific business plans; prepare marketing strategies and programs.
- Partner with systems development (IT) to identify and justify the infrastructure investments needed to improve product performance and overall team effectiveness.
Gain Support for Plan
- Lead the efforts needed to gain cross-functional support for the portfolio strategy.
- Develop and present the vision, strategy, roadmap and operating plan across all levels of the organization and ensure it is appropriately incorporated into DA Portfolio.
- Provide subject matter consulting to Senior Executives in support of the group’s strategy.
- Manage strategy deployment consistently throughout the year via team leadership activities such as roadmap execution meetings, communications, executive updates and barrier resolution.
- Support product manager efforts to define the use cases and features of service needed to support the development process.
- Work with management, legal and finance to negotiate partner or service agreements.
- Cast “LPSP Shadow” by inclusively creating and communicating a clear vision, holding him/herself accountable for execution, providing subject matter expertise and business mentoring to those in less senior positions, and creating a positive environment along the way.
Demonstrated ability to:
1. Use analytics tools to measure product performance and adoption trends. Constructs analyses independently and proactively. Prior experience with report and dashboard design. Analytical curiosity and comfort working in an evolving discipline
2. Familiarity with web technologies, databases and BI tools (e.g. EDW, SQL, Tableau, Adobe Analysis, Alteryx, Spotfire, PowerBI, etc.)
3. Demonstrated ability to influence key business decisions through analyses and user insight studies. Ability to convey complex analytics in a understandable way to non-executive and executive levels
4. Translate customer, market requirements and trends into a product strategy and roadmap. Define and justify business investments. Partner with internal and external groups critical to enabling the product strategy.
5. Use QDM or Lean Six Sigma principles to identify product and business improvement opportunities.
6. Define and implement an enterprise SW/Internet product and/or Partner strategy and roadmap.
7. Lead global and/or cross-functional team efforts. Prioritize and manage multiple concurrent projects.
8. Excellent critical thinking, quantitative and analytical skills. Versatility and comfort in use of sophisticated technology
9. Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
10. Provide team member mentoring and guidance.
- Master's degree/equivalent in Marketing, Finance, Computer Science or related business discipline.
- Five (5) years experience in marketing, advertising, sales administration, or related discipline.
- Knowledge of the broad application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in marketing disciplines, project management, information analysis and computer-generated modeling.
- Excellent human relations and communication/presentation skills.
- Advanced organizational, quantitative and analytical skills, including experience in database marketing and computer-generated modeling.
- Experience leading complex and interrelated initiatives in a corporate environment.
- Customer-focused orientation.
- Typically, 7 years of work experience in areas such as: SW/Internet Applications product management, SW/Internet applications marketing research or marketing programs, business operations, enterprise consulting, or SW/Internet solutions Business Development.
- Strong human relations, communication, and analytical skills.
Collierville, TN (Suburb of Memphis, TN)
Relocation assistance may be available but is based on business decision.
To apply for this position, please upload a current copy of your resume and complete the required screening questionnaire by close of business (5:00 PM CST) on September 17, 2019, to be considered.
Want a career where you are empowered to make a difference? Want to work for a company that is environmentally responsible? Want to grow and develop on the job? If so, FedEx is the place for you! Every day FedEx delivers for its customers with transportation and business solutions. FedEx serves more than 220 countries and territories around the globe. We can serve this global network due to our outstanding team of FedEx employees. FedEx has over 400,000 talented employees who are tasked with making every FedEx experience outstanding. FedEx has been recognized on many different lists both for business success and for being a great employer.
Here are some of the recognitions FedEx has received from the past couple of years:
- Fortune "World’s Most Admired Companies" – 2019
- Forbes "Best Employers for Diversity" - 2019
- Reputation Institute "World\’s Most Reputable Companies" – 2019
- National Business Inclusion Consortium "Best-of-the-Best Corporations for Inclusion" - 2019
- Women\’s Business Enterprise National Council "America’s Top Corporations for Women’s Business Enterprises" - 2018
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine "100 Best Corporate Citizens" – 2018
- Black Enterprise "50 Best Companies For Diversity" – 2018
When 400,000 employees around the globe are all working together it is amazing what we can achieve! FedEx connects people and ideas. If you would like to make a difference on a global scale while receiving top notch benefits, competitive pay, and plenty of opportunities to develop, click ‘Apply’ and tell us more about yourself.
EEO Statement - FedEx is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer (minorities/females/disability/veterans) that is committed to diversifying its workforce.