Business Strategy Principal
Requisition ID: POSTING-3-67261
Job Title: Business Strategy Principal
Job Requisition Number: RC82127
Memphis, Tennessee 38125
Provides leadership in the evaluation of strategic objectives, formulation of strategic direction, and influences decision making based on assessment of business trends and data analytics. Plans, organizes, and develops recommendations grounded in deep understanding of the business, industry & market trends, consumer behavior, customer segments, and competitive strategy. Predicts changes in the current market and summarizes insights from proprietary and third-party data & information to create distinctive insights.
Develops and implements complex business analyses, manages business case development, and business-at-risk assessments. Develops research methodologies to understand key strategic issues, identifies data sources (internal and external) and develops complex opportunity models using statistical and BI tools. Develops strategic frameworks and manages processes to build business scenarios using strategic thinking and decision science analysis. Provides a point of view on key strategic issues across major dimensions of the business – commercial, operations, customer segments, technology etc.
Engages with leadership teams / key stakeholders on identified priorities supported with clear fact based recommendations and provides actionable insights to leadership teams to recommend course of action. Provides thought leadership to cross-functional teams working on strategic initiatives and acts as an internal consultant to senior management. Takes responsibilities to manage external consulting engagements with industry experts and takes on coaching and mentoring roles.
Job Specific Information:
The position of Corporate Strategy Business Strategy Principal (SM) is a critical role within the highly visible Corporate Strategy group in FedEx Global Marketing. This group works closely with senior leadership across FedEx operating companies, international regions, and business units to create competitive advantage by providing actionable insights through strategic thinking and decision science analysis. This position represents a vital role in the group’s activities, leading multiple critical strategic initiatives and supporting execution of these strategic initiatives through collaboration with cross-functional business units.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop annual corporate strategy assessment to help drive the annual strategy planning process across the FedEx operating companies.
- Develop deep understanding of global transportation and supply chain market segments to identify emerging opportunities to enable future growth.
- Use strategy frameworks and financial/industry/competition/customer analytics to strengthen enterprise strategic planning processes and capabilities.
- Conduct analysis of key long-term strategic issues across FedEx, ensuring a customer-focused approach.
- Ask the right question to understand key strategic issues, identify multiple data sources (internal and external) and develop complex market opportunity models using statistical and BI tools that will enable the corporation to set aspirational long term goals.
- Synthesize strategies from major markets and segments into enterprise level view, assessing alignment with FedEx’s long-term financial, customer and brand objectives.
- Lead additional strategic deep-dive analyses to identify and quantify long term growth layers and support executive decision making.
- Provide critical point of views on key strategic issues affecting the corporation’s long term growth.
- Be the internal consultant to senior management to help them in decision making process by using strategic thinking and large-scale data analysis; provide internal consulting support to multiple business units, as needed.
- Design, create and communicate of deliverables / recommendations to senior management.
- Support corporate development activities by conducting thorough market scan, industry/competitor analysis, and financial modeling.
- Provide thought leadership to cross-functional teams working on strategic initiatives.
- Coach and mentor team members in both strategic thinking and data analytics. Support management in the hiring process.
Skills / Knowledge Considered a Plus:
- Strong critical thinking and strategic thinking abilities (being able to look at the big picture and getting into details).
- Demonstrated ability in story-telling in presentations by developing insights from complex datasets and provide actionable recommendations.
- Advanced quantitative and analytical skills, including experience in databases, BI tools, MS Office products and data modeling.
- Excellent presentation skills (both written/oral) and ability to articulate creative ideas in all forms of communication.
- Proven ability to lead with minimal direction from management on projects where little institutional knowledge exists and ability to thrive in demanding and relatively unstructured environments.
- Demonstrated ability to network with peers and all levels of management and to collaborate cross functionally across the corporation.
- High level of positive energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation.
- Track record of outstanding performance and demonstrated leadership.
Domicile / Relocation Information:
- This position will be located in Memphis, Tennessee. Relocation assistance is available.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- A Master’s degree in a quantitative business field or closely related technical specialized field of study with five (5) years related work experience. Or a Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative business field or closely related technical specialized field of study with seven (7) years related work experience.
- Work experience in functions focused on strategy development, competitive, customer, and industry analysis, market research, analysis of product performance, and support of corporate development / strategic value assessment activities.
- Demonstrated business acumen and experience of supporting strategic assessments that are transformational in nature including understanding the impact of technology trends on business.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, problem structuring & problem solving skills.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including experience in databases.
- Business Intelligence tools, MS Office products and data modeling.
- Strong human relations skills.
- An advanced degree may offset experience requirements.
Application Criteria / Deadline:
- Upload current copy of Resume and answer job screening questionnaire by close of business (5:00 PM CST) on August 15, 2018.
Want a career where you are empowered to make a difference? Want to work for a company that is environmentally responsible? Want to grow and develop on the job? If so, FedEx is the place for you! Every day FedEx delivers for its customers with transportation and business solutions. FedEx serves more than 220 countries and territories around the globe. We can serve this global network due to our outstanding team of FedEx employees. FedEx has over 400,000 talented employees who are tasked with making every FedEx experience outstanding. FedEx has been recognized on many different lists both for business success and for being a great employer.
Here are some of the recognitions FedEx has received from the past couple of years:
- FORTUNE “World’s Most Admired Companies” – 2016
- Corporate Responsibility Magazine “100 Best Corporate Citizens” – 2016
- InformationWeek “Elite 100” – 2016
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council “America’s Top Corporations for Women’s Business Enterprises” - 2016
- Reputation Institute “World’s Most Reputable Companies” – 2015
- Black Enterprise “40 Best Companies For Diversity” – 2015
When 400,000 employees around the globe are all working together it is amazing what we can achieve! FedEx connects people and ideas. If you would like to make a difference on a global scale while receiving top notch benefits, competitive pay, and plenty of opportunities to develop, click ‘Apply’ and tell us more about yourself.
EEO Statement - FedEx is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer (minorities/females/disability/veterans) that is committed to diversifying its workforce.